The Carnival of Aros is a month-long recurring blogging festival where bloggers on different platforms all write (or vlog, or create content) on a specific theme. Submissions are typically posted on everyone’s own blog (or whatever platform they use, such as YouTube). If you need me to host your post on my blog (as either a “guest post” submission crediting you or as an anonymous submission) please let me know. Different bloggers typically host the carnival each month. For more information about the Carnival of Aros, please look here! And don’t be afraid to host the carnival yourself sometime soon. The only rules are that a) submissions are tied back to aromanticism in some way, and b) the theme inspires your submission in some way.
I hosted the Carnival back in November of 2020 and then a little under 3 weeks ago the Carnival of Aros team reached out asking if I might be willing to host again, because they needed volunteers to host future months. I was happy to host again, and looking through the past themes that had been hosted, I noticed both Friendship and anything about Platonic Relationships hasn’t been a theme yet…
Feel free to ask me below, or at my email address email@example.com if you have any questions! Also feel free to reblog the post I just made, cross-posting this call for submissions to tumblr.
For October 2021, the theme I chose is “Friendship”. The prompts below are meant to help give you ideas of various directions you could take your submissions, but the topic is meant to be broad so anything that the word inspires, even if it has nothing to do with any of the prompts below, is welcome!
- What comes to mind when you think of the words friendship and friend? How do you define them? How do others define these words? Do those things tend to diverge in any ways?
- How can friendship be associated with or related to romance?
- As an aromantic person or person on the aro spectrum, how does that affect your friendships? How does it affect what types of friendships you desire or specifically don’t desire?
- Does your gender affect how you approach friendships? Do other people’s genders affect your friendships with them?
- Does your sexual orientation affect your approach to friendship? Do any other orientations of yours you may have affect your approach?
- Do you feel like aro communities have any specific ideas about friendship?
- Are there any things you associate with friendship? For example, I now associate yellow heart emojis 💛 with friendship because when I was a kid (before emojis were a thing) my mom had taught me that yellow roses symbolized friendship, as explained here:
Yellow roses are often given to loved ones as a way to bring joy and cheer. Due to the yellow rose’s bright color, many attribute it to the warmth of a sunny day, and rightfully so. It’s an absolute beauty to behold, bringing happiness to all who receive it.VENUS ET FLEUR®
Furthermore, yellow roses are said to symbolize friendship. They are widely-used to cheer up friends and relatives or to simply express your heartfelt appreciation for someone.
- Are there specific activities you’d like to do with a friend or you do enjoy doing with friends?
- Group friendships! What do you have to say about friendships between 3 or more people? How is friendship related to community?
Submissions are due on the final day of the month, which is Halloween: Sunday, October 31st. I will be typing up a draft of the round-up of all submissions on Sunday, October 31st and posting the round-up on Monday November 1st, however if you are late and want me to add your submission into the round-up after the fact by editing the post, feel free to contact me into November and that’s fine. I’m happy to add it in later.
When You Finish Writing/Creating Your BLOG/Vlog/Poem/Etc and are Ready to Submit It:
If possible, please fill out this Google Form to submit your Carnival of Aros posts:
It doesn’t require you to provide any email address nor track who you are. It’ll simply make things much easier for me at the end to make sure I don’t miss any submissions, to be able to just look at all the responses there. I also make it easier to make sure you all provide me with not just the link to your submission but also useful info for me to have such as your pronouns and the title I should use for your post.
If you’d like for a post to be hosted on my blog as a guest submission, and/or if you would like to be anonymous, I can do that for you. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org your submission with instructions and I’ll post a guest post. If possible, also fill out the Google Form with an anonymized version of your post as another option, like with a link to it on a site that is not otherwise linked to any of your known psuedonyms. Or fill out the Google form just enough to tell me you’ve emailed me your submission to be posted as a guest post.
However if you are not able, or don’t wish, to use the Google form, then you may submit other ways. – you may simple email me at my new email@example.com email address, message me on VioletEmerald on tumblr, contact me on VioletEmeraldx on twitter, or add me as a friend and then message me at VioletEmerald#8738 on Discord… or just leave a comment on this WordPress post below! A comment here is always a great option as well so others interested in the carnival can see submissions as they come in. I recommend you submit both in a comment and through the Google Form to really cover your bases. 😉
Thanks, and feel free to comment below if you have any questions or concerns!
I look forward to your submissions!! 🙂